Multi blogs on one installation

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM
First off: great to see this get going! I started BlogMVC some while back, but abandoned it in light of Oxite/Orchard. Now I wish I hadn't as I just don't see those projects as useful. So hopefully I can support this project. My first question/request is does it/will it support multiple blogs in one installation? Thanks, Trevor de Koekkoek
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Hi Trevor, 

Currently we support multiple authors but I never really thought about the concept of multiple blogs. It is probably something that can be done.  If you are interested in working on the project then we are always looking for an experienced developer. 

Thanks,

Mike

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I just found this project today.  I've been working with BlogEngine.NET for a few years now and worked on a multiple blog solution in parallel with Jacob Proffitt.  The main difference between our approaches was the data model.  He added on a parallel set of tables where I modified the BE.NET tables by adding a BlogId column to the tables that required it.  Later we added a Hosts table to allow multiple host headers to point at a single Blog.  It was a simple solution and I'm still curious as to why it was not picked up by the BlogEngine.NET team.  Now I need to merge the BE.NET changes into my own "personal" code base to pick up changes and bug fixes.

I would much prefer to support a current code base using .NET 4.0, MVC and the newest technologies.  I believe that BlogEngine .NET is trapped in it's architecture.  Please let me know if I can help and support this project even if only on the Multi-blog architecture.  I will look it over this weekend to see if I'm able to offer ideas.

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2010 at 2:59 AM

The multiple blog idea sounds interesting. I do have a few questions about how a multi-blog site works though. For instance, when running multiple blogs against a single database can multiple blogs use the same category or tags or do they all have separate copies? I am assuming that user accounts must be able to access multiple blogs because you need at least one account which can provision new sites and control security across all the sites.

Anyhow, I just got done replacing the entire data layer for WeBlog. Things are a little bit unstable right now because I have refactored so much code. In any case, I like your idea and I would like to incorporate it into the core functionality. I would probably suggest that you create a fork and I will look over the changes and merge them in later. However, I think it would be good if you can give me at least a week so I can get things stable again. 

Jul 1, 2010 at 12:31 AM

"For instance, when running multiple blogs against a single database can multiple blogs use the same category or tags or do they all have separate copies?"

The way I'm doing this now, categories and tags are per blog.  They are isolated.  Tags make sense, and then so do Categories when someone wants to list posts by category.  This just makes sense to me but if there is a reason to make them "global" I'm sure there is a way.  I haven't thought about it yet.  Some folks have asked for Posts to be published across multiple blogs.  I can understand that, but haven't done that either.  Would that be a high priority?

User accounts have been configured per blog, but it does make sense to be able to create users, at least one admin, capable of maintaining global settings. I'd like to see that as well.

Provisioning sites is the current trick with BlogEngine.NET since it was always expected to be just one blog.  Install, run a script or 2 and it works.  I created a simple WinForm app to add the few minimum settings to the DB and seed data to get up and running.  It is very simplistic but it beats using more scripts. Maintenance and administration would definitely be a high priority, but certainly not that difficult. The question is how.  I have a few ideas, and I'm sure there are plenty.  I'll take a look at the source when you give me a heads-up or I'll check back this weekend.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM

When I started BlogMVC I built it with multi-blog built in.  This is a big feature now with Wordpress 3.0 with it built-in.  Please check out http://blogmvc.codeplex.com/ and feel free to take any of the code if you find it useful for this project.  But you are further along then I ever got, but perhaps some of the domain structure will make some sense.

If I can be of some assistance in the multi-blog feature or other let me know, but I have limited time which is why I have not really stepped up as of yet.

-Trevor

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Any news on the multi-blog site functionality? 

Coordinator
Mar 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM
Edited Mar 13, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it started because I am currently the only developer actively working on the project. Here is the current task list ordered by priority:

1. Write an importer (BlogML compatible). 
  2. Migrate to the razor view engine. 
  3. Multi-Blog Support

It would be great if I could find someone to volunteer on the project who has had some experience with building a "portal" site. 

Update: 3/13/2011

Razor migration is done. Also added mobile support via the less framework. I will probably get the importer finished for version 1.0. Multi-blog support will probably be the top priority after the 1.0 release.